21 Oct Made By Rae Ruby Dress Pattern
A dress is a perfectly normal outfit for a muddy pumpkin farm, right? There’s nothing better than riding a tractor and sitting on hay bales in tights and a dress. Classy.
I tried to find the perfect pumpkin to pose with (to avoid the complete limelight) and quickly realized the pumpkins below were a little to heavy. Yes, my biceps are huge, but not that huge ; ) Now that I’m looking at the picture, the pumpkins don’t look big at all. But I promise they were heavy and filled of lots of orange goop.
awkward fun photo shoot, we searched for our pumpkin victims. We found some pretty funky pumpkins and ended up giving them a home rather than the perfectly round ones. Not sure how they will look once they are carved but it will be fun to try.
Now to the real reason for this blog post. The Ruby Dress. Here’s my amateur pattern review:
+Two lengths: Top and Dress
+Bias-Bound armholes and necklines
Fabric: For the yolk, I went with Robert Kaufman Slub Chambray in Indigo. For the main dress, I used Sarah Watson’s Woodland in Oak from her Indian Summer collection. Rae recommends using fabrics with more of a drape for the main dress (rayon challis, linen, voile, double gauze), but I broke the rules and went with quilting cotton. I love the Indian Summer line and wanted to use it for a dress. I wasn’t sure whether it was age appropriate given that all of the models for the line are kids, but I went for it.
+You only have to make one main pattern piece for the dress (excluding the yokes). She’s included a FOLD line that allows you to cut one pattern piece for the Front and Back of the dress. So you only have 3 total pattern pieces to make this dress: 1. Front Yolk 2. Back Yolk 3. Main Dress (front and back).
+Rae has posted video tutorials on how to make a lined yoke, which I will probably attempt when I make another one of these dresses. It would allow you to skip the bias bound neck and armholes (more on that below).
+The length on me was PERFECT and I didn’t have to shorten it at all. This has never happened with a pattern before and I thought I did something wrong at first. Keep this in mind if you are taller than 5’4″ (not hard to beat). The hem is a generous 2 inches so you could lengthen the dress by shortening the hem length.
+I used Swedish tracing paper for the pattern pieces, which has been my go to. It’s easy to see through, is sewable, reusable, and thin to allow for compact storage.
+You have to gather the front and back of the dress in order to match the length of the front and back yolk. This took a little fudging and shifting but gets easier with practice. I would suggest pinning the ends and then working the gathers between them, as Rae suggests.
+I chose to stitch in the ditch to secure my bias tape to my neckline and armholes. I’m not a talented stitch-in-the-ditcher so this was a little hard at times. I ended up sewing a 1/4″ stitch (using the edge of my presser foot) around each opening, which was close enough to the ditch and kept it more consistent for my liking. I think I would try an alternative approach to attaching the bias tape on the next version or just lining the yolk and avoiding it all together. The good old cop out strategy.
Overall Review: This dress is perfect for a beginner garment sewer. It comes together quickly and the pattern is really easy to follow. Rae has included pictures, hints, and notes to walk you through the process. If you’ve made her Washi dress before, this is definitely a lot less time consuming. I would definitely recommend making it, even if you are a garment guru. The possibilities are endless with the mixing and matching of the yolk and the main dress. I’m looking forward to making another one.
Outtakes from the Photo Shoot: